Honduras 2012...


It's been only 7 days and I miss Honduras like crazy. Last Saturday morning, at 2am, we returned from an amazing missions trip to Honduras. This was my fifth time in the past two years going to Honduras. I can't seem to get enough of it! if I could describe it...well it is just indescribable. Honduras does something to my heart. Before I left, I was really struggling to find joy over the Christmas season. I think with the disappointment of not getting a "Christmas Miracle Referral," I just didn't have a lot in me to give. I even second guessed my decision to go on the trip. But the second we landed at the airport in San Pedro Sula, I took one deep breath of Honduran air and I was reminded just how full my heart gets on Honduran soil.

We were greeted at the airport by one of our favorite missionaries, Mr. Bob (don't worry Amy and Tom...if you are reading...you are the other favorite missionaries!), who is this missionary who has a contagious passion and love for Jesus. We were also greeted by Pastor Efrain, who I would now describe as second family to me, who is an amazing man of God. I knew in those first few moments God was going to do something in my heart.

A couple of days before I left for my trip, I really felt like I was being challenged. Mission trips have always been a source of joy for me, and all I could think about was the fact that we hadn't gotten a call with our referral. I really believe that God allowed some amazing experiences that were what I would call "Joy-Refills." Here are a few to share with you...

1. Family Time...most of the mission trips I have been on I have gotten to share the experience with at least one family member. This trip I got to go on with both my Dad and my younger sister, Kristen. I can't put into words the joy that fills my heart from that. My Dad has an unbelievable passion for missions and it is an inspiration. While we like to make fun of him (for his occasional "drop cloth moments" and Spanglish speaking), his love for people is contagious and that is awesome. Having my sister Kristen there was like having a best friend on the trip. We did everything together. We busted on our butts on the work site until we couldn't pick up any more cement pieces, we led VBS together, we washed dishes every meal together (with the help of Nat and Krystal who are amazing), we laughed together, cried together, and created some amazing memories together. And...WE DIDN'T FIGHT OR ARGUE ONCE...we have hit a milestone!


2. Las Mujeres...One of the places in Honduras that holds an incredible grip on my heart is the teenage girls orphanage. It is home to 75 abused and neglected girls ages 12-18. The government only gives the orphanage 1.50 per month per girl to take care of them. While it should be an extremely depressing place, it is amazing because of what God is doing there. There is a lady named Olga who is a Christian, and she leads the girls in worship every morning. I can't even write words that will do justice to the feeling in your heart as you walk into that place and here those girls worshiping. I immediately began to cry tears of joy, because it was so moving. Truly an amazing place. Kristen and I had the chance that day to share some scripture and encouragement, but the highlight was the opportunity to pray with two little girls about 13-14 years old. The one girl's mother had just died and her Dad had left her at the orphanage. For a short minute or two, we got to bring hope to that little girls heart. We told her we were her "new sisters" and would be praying for her. I couldn't help but think about our children wherever they are...


3. El Eden...We also had the opportunity to visit another orphanage, this time one that houses younger kids. We got to hold special needs babies, play with toddlers, and even feed the little ones. I held a little girl for quite sometime, and again, my thoughts wandered, as I thought, "Is anyone holding our little ones tonight." I watched as one of my young adults held a child and put her back in crib. The little girl lost it, the college student lost it, and I think many of us that stood around were fighting the tears. It gave a new meaning to the 5 million orphans in Ethiopia we think about every night, and at the same time got me imagining what the day will look like when we will rescue one of those orphans...pure joy.

4. VBS...We conducted five Vacation Bible Schools with over 200 kids at each one. It was pretty crazy! I have been learning Spanish through Rosetta Stone, and it seemed to really be coming together on this trip. That is until I decided that I was capable of praying out loud. I had been leading the VBS in Spanish, so I figured, I can pray. Well, I totally went blank! The kids in Honduras repeat your whole prayer as you prayer, which threw me off. They I started just thanking God for whatever came to mind...family...houses...friends...cheese (just kidding on that one). My sister was like, "I had no idea where you were going with that!" And that's when I prayed the big one. I said, "Gracias Jesus para muerte nuestros pescados." Yeah...I was trying to say "thank you Jesus for dying for our sins," but instead said, "Thank you Jesus for dying for our fish!" Needless to say, all the kids laughed at me and I did not hear the end of that.

5. New Friends...I had the chance to meet some amazing people on this trip, especially at the work site. I worked with a bunch of guys on the roof, carrying buckets of cement and helping do the finish work on the roof. It was extremely hard work and extremely hot outside! The people that worked with us were some of the most hard working, kindest people I have ever met. There were two guys, Alan and Rudy, who I worked a lot with. We nicknamed ourselves the "Tres Muskateers!" I think they secretly thought I was crazy and probably talked about that at some point in time. It probably didn't help that I yelled every so often, "Ricooooooooo Suaveeeeeeeeeeeee." at this one worker whose name was Rico. They thought that was hilarious. The work was seriously intense. On one of the last work days, when I couldn't give anymore, some of the guys asked me to sing with them. They were practicing in this little tiny room for their worship team. They gave me a microphone and we blasted away at, "Revelation Song." This guy Billy was the lead, and his passion for God and worship was amazing. It was definitely one of the best moments of the trip...felt like God was so close in that little room.

6. One More Time...It was the last day of work and of VBS. We were incredibly tired and spent. I knew that I couldn't physically shovel something else, and after leading VBS 4 times already in Spanish, I wasn't sure I could make it through one more. We did our best to work through the VBS, and then something awesome happened. After we sang our last song, the kids all started chanting, "Otra Vez...Otra Vez...Otra Vez (which meant "another time.") So we gave in and sang the song once more. Before we could even finish that song, they began chanting again, "Otra Vez, Otra Vez..." In the end, the kids enthusiasm gave us this unexplainable joy and energy, and we would wound up singing 5 more times! It was hilarious.

The 10 days went extremely fast. I would have stayed another 10 if it weren't for missing Nate so much! Tonight, as I sat at my kitchen table eating, I just started crying. I missed Honduras! I miss the people, the experiences, new friends, and the way my heart fills with each encounter. It is truly special and continues to be a place where my heart collides with people and experiences that profoundly shaped my life. I am blessed beyond measure for those experiences and wouldn't trade them for the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

Thin Spaces...The Sights and Sounds of Ethiopia