Biruk's Dedication...

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words and this past Sunday I would have to agree.  Several months ago, Nate and I began talking about hosting an Orphan Sunday Event at our church.  While we were in the beginning stages of brainstorming ideas, my Dad said, "Hey...it would be awesome if you did Biruk's dedication in conjunction with Orphan Sunday."  As soon as those words were out of his mouth, we began dreaming about what the event would look like.  We had no idea the kind of response we would get, but our hope was that people would catch a vision for how God is calling us to look after orphans all over the world, that a passion would begin to stir in the hearts of God's people, and that through our story of adopting Biruk, people would understand the faithfulness of God.

When we walked up to the platform at six o'clock that night, we were blown away by what we saw.  The church was jammed packed, with standing room only.  I looked out over the crowd and saw my family, who had been there every step of our journey, good times and bad, now in the front row to celebrate an orphan who had come home.  I saw teens who had prayed with us and for us and who had come to just serve in whatever way possible that night.  I saw former teens who were now young adults whose hearts had been touched as they visited orphanages in Honduras with us over the years, now seeking what they were called to do next.  I saw 5-6 volleyball players and their families scattered throughout the sanctuary, who had supported us and loved on us for the past several seasons, now here to celebrate the little boy that had become an honorary member of the team.  I saw the girls I coach with, who had become new friends in the best part of our journey, there to celebrate.  I saw a former player that I had coached in Kansas City over 10 years ago holding our child for the very first time.  I saw the faces of good friends who had traveled the distance because they have a passion for orphans, a deep desire for justice, and a love for our child.  I saw my best friend who had walked every step of the journey in solidarity with me, gaining a love for orphans and a deep love for our child.

That night the pictures continued.  I saw a group of young adults passionately leading worship as we sang the powerful words, "Where you go I'll go...where you stay I'll stay.  When you move I'll move.  I will follow you."  I saw a 17 year old girl, with the maturity of an adult, share her heart about what it's like to be adopted in the most honest of ways.  I saw a couple, who God had grabbed a hold of their hearts, and put a passion inside of them for foster care...a journey that would not only allow them to care for over 30 children over the years, but a journey that would allow them to adopt 4 as their own.  I saw one of my teens dance her heart out to the song, "Won't You Be My Love," reminding us through creativity, what it is like to be an orphan.  And then I watched my Dad dedicate his grandson.

There have been so many times in this journey that words can't seem to do my thoughts justice.  The moment that my Dad dedicated our son...the son we have ALL prayed for and waited for for what seems like forever...words can't paint that picture.  My Dad stood there and reminded us of the journey, asking the question, "Would things be different if we would have never been on this journey and just had the same good fortune as most couples have had when starting a family?"  He then went on to think through that...

Would there have been involvement of our churches in a ministry to orphans in San Pedro Sula, Honduras?
Would there have been a blog that has ministered to an unknown number of people?
Would we have observed the maturing of the faith of Nate and Andrea to the degree that we have observed?
Would there have been the development of Grammy’s Cupcakes which has turn an average baker in to a connoisseur?
Would there have been the depth of intercession for a child who was yet to be born?
Would there have been sensitivity to women faced with the reality of infertility?
Would there have been the depth of love shared by three sisters who boycotted Mother’s Day a couple of years ago and provided an alternative for their sister?
Would we have come to know and love our neighbors originally from Ethiopia who have lent support and introduced Nate and Andrea to the rich culture of Ethiopia? (And they just happened to live across the street from them!)
Would there have been such great joy as a little boy crawls across the floor of Boonsboro High School to join his volleyball team in their warm ups?
Would we have enjoyed as deeply the moments we’ve already had with Biruk and the initial chapters with all the firsts….first petting zoo, first Trunk or Treat, first church nursery care giver, first birthday, first Czech Christmas celebration (to come)?
Would we have been as sensitive to the value of every human life?
Would Biruk have a forever family or would he still be waiting?


In those moments, my Dad reminded a room full of people that night what we as a family have come to believe through this journey.  God is faithful and his plan is perfect.

Well, in the moments to follow we probably experienced one of the most memorable dedications my Dad has ever done.  God is not only faithful and his plan is not only perfect, but he definitely has a sense of humor.  Let's just say that Biruk was a little wired that night!  Nate had written an unbelievable blessing for Biruk (which will be posted in the next blog to come), but as he read it, Biruk couldn't stop babbling, he was licking Nate's face, he was laughing hysterically, and he completely had Pop-Pop out of sorts!  Grammy left the dedication to go get a snack for Biruk, came back with some puffs, only to have them snagged by Biruk's partner in crime, Quinny, (his little cousin who I know he will get into serious trouble with as soon as he starts walking).  She proceeded to walk up and down the middle aisle with this huge smile on her face, much to my sisters dismay.  My Dad described the whole thing as a three ring circus...it was most definitely memorable and unexpected, much like the journey we have been on.  And I am sure that God is not done writing this crazy story we call our life!

The day after the dedication, I found myself surrounded in the gym by some of my volleyball girls, talking about the night and how incredible it was.  One of my players excitedly said, "Coach...I was totally thinking about this.  Last year around the same time we were at your fundraiser dinner and you and Nate were up front, crying, talking about how you were trusting God with his plan and trusting that he would be faithful even though you didn't know what he was going to do.  Then last night it was a reminder that he was faithful!!!  That makes me want to cry!!!"  Well, in those moments I wanted to cry too, because once again God had used our journey to remind the world of his faithfulness.  And that is worth the whole journey, unexpected parts and all.



Comments

  1. Yes this has been a grace disguised, and the blessings continue to emerge. It is true that Biruk was one of the more challenging dedications I've done, but as you say it kind of fits the whole journey.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. We wish we could have been there! We are praying for you and Biruk and the journey you have started together! God Bless! -The Diepenhorsts

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

The Hands That Hold Your Heart...