Advent: Child-Like Wonder...

A couple of weeks ago we celebrated Biruk's second birthday.  I am amazed at how fast the first year and half with him has gone.  I feel like it was just yesterday that we were on a plane, flying home from Ethiopia, embarking on a whole new chapter of our lives.  Time flies...especially when you have a two year old.  To be honest, I wasn't really sure what to expect as we entered into this new stage of raising a toddler.  I figured that life would look a little different now that we had a child that could walk and talk, but I had no idea how much I would actually learn from one.  I have quickly learned that a our toddler can run faster than Nate and I combined, and his energy level blows mine out of the water even after I have consumed an entire pot of coffee.  I have learned that toddlers not only have the ability to repeat everything you say, but will in fact repeat everything you say (I learned that the hard way as I hit my head on the refrigerator door and yelled, "Dang It.").  I have learned that toddlers are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to food.  Biruk has reminded me continually that vegetables are in fact NOT a dessert and donuts have some type of vitamin that is a daily necessity so we have to go to Dunkin as many times as possible in a given week.

What I didn't realize was how much a toddler could change your perspective on  the Christmas season.  Last year at this time, we were counting down the days to have our first official Christmas with Biruk.  When Christmas morning came, it was everything we hoped for and so much more.  We were finally a forever family and it was the greatest Christmas gift we could have been given.  I didn't think life could get much sweeter.  And then the Advent Season 2014 began and life got sweeter because of that little toddler in our home.

I was putting Biruk to bed a couple of nights ago when I asked him a question.  "Biruk, do you know where Jesus lives?"  He just stared at me.  "Biruk, Jesus lives right here in your heart.  Did you know that?"  He just stared at me again.  We read our stories, sang our songs and prayed together.  When I went to lay him down in his crib I asked him again, "Biruk, where does Jesus live?"  He got this huge grin on his face and said, "In my heart!"  My heart melted.  The next day, was the start of Advent.  We had been given an Advent Calendar, which conveniently had chocolate provided for each day.  On the cover of the calendar was a nativity scene.  When we pulled the calendar out, we said, "Biruk, where is Baby Jesus?"  He totally ignored the question and started pointing out every animal on the cover.  So, Nate opened the first window and pulled out the chocolate.  "Biruk...tell Daddy where Baby Jesus is and you can have the chocolate."  Biruk immediately pointed to the baby.  Nate handed him the little piece of chocolate (which by the way is about the size of a dime), and Biruk proceeded to let each of us take a nibble before devouring the rest for himself, as Nate hung the calendar on his bedroom door.  Day 1 of the Advent calendar was successful.

Day 2 was a bit more challenging.  Biruk now knew there was chocolate hanging on the door.  At 9:30am, he was reminded that the advent calendar was not in fact a breakfast thing, but an after dinner thing.  That gentle reminder sent him into a 10 minute full out meltdown.  It was not pretty.  Nevertheless, the day flew, dinner came, and as soon as he finished his food he said, "Chocolate???"  Nate and I looked at each other and smiled.  "Biruk, do you want to open your Advent calendar for today?"  Words can't describe his reaction (in fact, we are going to record this and put it on Facebook...it is that good).  He jumped out of his booster seat, ran down the hallway, jumped up and down, squealed over and over at the top of his lungs, and waited patiently as we read the daily verse and handed him the piece of chocolate....to which he again, took a small nibble, shared a bite with each of us, and then devoured.

 It's Day 4 of Advent and his excitement has not waned.  At the mention of the word, "Advent," Biruk is at his door eagerly anticipating the gem of goodness hidden behind that little paper window.  While I know that he is pretty stoked about that bite sized chocolate, I also know that he is learning about a Jesus who not only loves him, but lives right inside his heart.  So when he lays in his bed humming "Jesus Loves Me," or finishes the lyrics to one of the worship songs that plays in his bedroom each night, I have to believe that there is already this stirring in his soul.  It's a stirring that has already created a sense of literal child-like wonder for this Advent Season.  It's a stirring that causes an excitement and anticipation for what's to come.  It's a stirring that we all need in our souls during this Advent Season.

I don't want to approach this season through the eyes of a hurried shopper, an overwhelmed planner, a perfect gift exchanger, or a burned out, tuned out, frazzled consumer.  I want to approach it from the perspective of a wide-eyed, eager, anticipating, excited two year old who hasn't lost the gift of wonder and whose heart is being continually stirred by the love of Jesus.  May we be given the gift of that perspective this Advent Season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

The Hands That Hold Your Heart...