Daring to Dream...


Last Monday night, I found myself wondering what happens when we don't inspire the young people in our life to "dare to discover what God has dreamed up for them."  As a young girl, I had no idea what plans God had for my life.  I was full of energy, had a love for people, loved being around the church, loved being a Pastor's kid, developed a deep love for Jesus, and spunky seemed to be my middle name.  While I had a few plans and dreams for the future as a child, none of them included being a Youth Pastor.

I had a lot of amazing people pour into me as a child.  My Mom was always a huge source of encouragement.  She taught me (and continues to teach me) the value in making people feel "valuable."  My Grandpa showed me what it means to really love people, regardless of where they come from.  I had a Sunday School teacher in the third grade who not only put up with my spunkiness, but instilled a deep love for Jesus at an early age.  My best friend's parents taught me what it meant to give generously, something they modeled as our family struggled at times financially.  My Grandmom modeled what it means to truly share the hope of Jesus in every situation (even if it was really awkward to pray with the waitress that was taking your order at the local Denny's).

There were all those people who called out things in me that I didn't see in myself.  My Youth Pastor, Darryl, was one of those.  I remember the first time he came to interview for his job and my Dad let me ask him some questions.  I don't remember what I asked or what he said, but that day marked the beginning of a journey that would eventually help me discover my call to ministry.  Daryl saw gifts in me that I couldn't see in myself.  He helped me to dream big things for the middle and high school I was attending.  He encouraged me to be bold in sharing my faith, even when I was ridiculed for it.  He invited me to lead many times, even when he knew there was the potential to fail.  He had conversations with me that challenged me and caused me to ask the question, "What is God really dreaming up for my life?"  He celebrated with me when I received my call to ministry in the 9th grade and believed in what God could do though me before I could believe it myself.

Professor Dan Boone was another one.  I took his preaching class as one of my final credits before earning my Masters Degree.  I was scared to death.  Not only was I afraid to speak in front of people (this would be an issue in becoming a youth pastor I kept telling myself), but he was really, really, really, good at preaching!  It was intimidating.  I felt insecure.  I wondered if I had anything to offer.  Dr. Boone believed in what God had called me to do, before I believed in it myself.  When I finished preaching in class that first time, Dr. Boone spoke words of encouragement that had huge implications for my life.  While I don't remember the words, I remember walking away believing that God had called me to be Pastor and he would give me the means and grace to do what he had called me to do.

Last Monday night was significant, because I stood with my Dad, singing in the Ordained Ministers Choir for our Church Denomination District Assembly.   I was ordained several years ago, and my Dad had the privilege of praying over me that night.  Every year, it's been our tradition to sing in the choir together, remembering together what we have been called by God to do.  My Dad has had a HUGE impact on my life.

I remember as a child going on hospital calls, hanging out in his office, visiting shut-ins, taking notes during his preaching (he should feel honored with that one!), and catching a glimpse from an early age as to what it means to let go of your own dreams and plans and follow after the heart of God without reservation.  Throughout high school, my Dad continued to encourage me to pursue God's dreams for my life, regardless of how "unconventional" they seemed.  Through college, he encouraged me to step out and do the things that not only scared me, but that I knew God was asking of me.  He reminded me that this life is more than our plans, our dreams, our desires.

As I stood in that choir last week, I couldn't help but have mixed feelings.  On one hand, I felt incredibly grateful for all of the people God has placed along my journey that have dared me to look past my own plans and dare to dream about what God might be calling me to do and be.  On the other hand, I couldn't help but think of so many young people who have no idea what God has created them for.  Maybe it's because they have been taught to be "successful," to "do what you are good at," to do "what will make the most money."  Maybe it's just because they are waiting for someone to dream with them about what God might be calling them to do.

To Mom, Dad, Darryl, Dr. Boone, Mr. Barry, Mr. Harry, Mrs. Darlene, and so many more...thanks for showing me what it means to totally fall in love with Jesus.  Thanks for reminding me that "unconventional" is pretty awesome.   Thanks for calling out things you saw in me before I could see them in myself.   Thanks for daring to dream.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

Thin Spaces...The Sights and Sounds of Ethiopia