Minor Set Backs and His Faithfulness...

When I signed up to run the Chicago Marathon, I knew it was going to be a challenge.  While I was a runner in high school and have completed one half marathon, there is something overwhelming about signing up for a race in which you choose to run 26.2 miles.  I knew it would take a lot of time to put in the runs, a lot of mental energy to complete the really long runs, and a whole lot of willpower to not quit halfway through.  What I didn't know was that I would have a setback at the halfway point of training.

A couple of weeks ago, I came home from coaching volleyball and noticed a pain in my lower leg.  At first I thought maybe it was shin splints (I had some great experiences with those in my high school track career), but when the pain seemed to persist in one area, I thought it would be a good idea to go to a sports doctor to make sure I hadn't suffered a fracture.  The good news was that I hadn't.  The bad news...I had a pulled muscle that runs tight next to the shin.  I took the week off from running, but in the end, couldn't afford to take off any more than that in order to be ready for our race in October.  The doctor hooked me up with some PT sessions which have been helpful, but the reality is, the pain is still there...EVERY day...EVERY run...EVERY time I move on my feet.

To be honest, if I wasn't running with Team World Vision, I probably would have seriously contemplated quitting.  But I keep seeing the faces of the kids that I walked to a dirty water hole with in Africa last September and I keep reminding myself, I run for those kids and the kids all over the world that have no voice.

Tonight was a short run for us...8 miles.  I can't even believe I consider 8 miles to be short, but after our 16 mile run on Wednesday, anything below that looks great.  As I ran alongside of my husband, who was pushing our 35 lb toddler, I found myself having a bit of a pity party.  I was tired of running on pain.  I was tired of not feeling 100%.  And then all of a sudden, I got stung by a bee!  Seriously, you can't make this stuff up.  We are running in the woods and all of a sudden I feel this massive sting on the back of my leg (what bees come at you from behind), stop and start yelling, see blood on my leg, and then for the next few minutes it just swells into this huge red welt.  It happened at mile 4.

For the next 4 miles that bee reminded me who was boss and I struggled to hold it together as I cried for about a mile and listened to Biruk repeat over and over "Why is mommy crying?  Why did the bee sting her?"  Marathon training is not for the faint at heart.

My frustration turned into a conversation with God and I was not only reminded of why I run, but was reminded that even when we have set backs, God is still great and God is still faithful.  I felt like God was saying...look at all of the things I have done for you during this training.  Stop focusing on the setbacks and start practicing gratitude.  I began to think about what he has done...

He's given me a love for running...seriously...I have come to love our runs.
He's given me an amazing husband to train with...we've put in a lot of hours together and I love him
He's given me a 35lb son to push who reminds me every time I look at him that God is faithful
He's allowed me to continue training despite an injury...it could have been so much worse
He gives me an endless supply of clean water every run...what so much of the world does not have
He's given me hours to pray for others...3 exact on Wednesday on that 16 mile run
He's kept me healthy...except for puking in the shower that one time and that makes a great story anyway
He's allowing me to be a part of his kingdom work in Africa...a place that holds a piece of my heart

Setbacks are inevitable, whether you are marathon running or trying to tackle this thing we call life.  As I reminded my teens on Wednesday night at youth group, despite the hard parts of this journey, we don't have to be consumed...because every new day God offers us the good stuff and he is faithful.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

The Hands That Hold Your Heart...