A Unique Family...

I've been told a few times that I have a unique family.  It's not just the fact that we make random noises while walking in public places...all at the same time, or that we love to roll down the windows of my Mom's mini van and sing David Crowder songs in prestigious vacation towns, or even that we sometimes go searching for Santa in our Christmas PJ's on Christmas Eve.  I think we are unique because we have a deep friendship with one another.

This past weekend, my Mom came to stay with us for one last time before we move to Boston.  She was here for less than 24 hours, but we packed in visits to all of our favorite places and then she did what she has done many times over the years here...she frosted her homemade cupcakes...400 mini ones.  Earlier that week, my Mom had called me to say that she wanted to do something for the church because they had meant so much to her and figured cupcakes were the best way to go.  She also decided to write a letter with these words:

Humbly grateful for my second church family…Hagerstown Church of the Nazarene:

Almost a dozen years ago I entrusted one of my most highly prized earthly treasures to you…my daughter, Pastor Andrea…and her husband Nate.  They were fresh out of grad school, “wet behind the ears,” hearts filled with new ideas, eager to start a family, ready to change YOUR world.  And my heart became entwined with yours.
From helping Andrea and Nate to make the trip from Seminary to Hagerstown and helping them unpack, to hauling teens to activities, to hauling items for garage sales, and hauling pumpkins to Trunk or Treat here from the Amish Country…was just the beginning of my travel saga between Bel Air and Hagerstown.  And the traveling continued between our New Years/Retreat Breakfasts and opening my home up for floor sleeping room during an FOL blizzard!
And because my daughter fell in love with your families, I grew to love you too.  I watched your little ones grow up each year at Trunk or Treat…I listened to your teens as they visited with my daughter late at night at her house, and when she cried over them, I did too, carrying the burden home with me.  I traveled to volleyball games everywhere and loved on hundreds of girls in Jesus’ name in the name of Hagerstown Nazarene Church.  And I even got to visit some of your children at college, see some of them get married, and start their own life.
Then my “love affair” deepened with the coming of my second treasure, Mr. Biruk…when all of you, young and old alike, opened your hearts and arms to embrace our gift from Ethiopia.  You were there for the dinners/tea, and I am quite sure that of the 4000 cupcakes that I baked, you all purchased/consumed 3000 of them!   My heart will never forget those of you who waited at the airport with us as we cheered for his arrival.
This is a bittersweet time for all of us, a time of sadness and celebration.  I am confident that God has great things in store for ALL of us.  Let’s just say, “until we see each other again.”  Stay true to HIM…I will be cheering you on…

Much Love,

Debbie, aka “Mama Long,” aka Grammy Long

As I sat typing up my Mom's letter to print off for the church, I sobbed on the couch (which by the way caused Biruk to say, "Daddy...why is Mommy crying again?"), because I realized just how much my family has invested in the past 12 years of our ministry too.  A couple of weeks ago, I sat next to my Dad under the Honduran Sun as we sobbed together knowing that this chapter of our life was coming to an end.  A couple of weeks later, I sat across from my older sister and brother in law, in our local Starbucks, as we shared our hopes, dreams, and fears for this next piece of our life.  They have not only journeyed with me...my family...,but they have often carried me in ways they probably will never know.

I am thankful...beyond thankful...for the investment my family continues to make in the places God has called us to.  We are unique.  We are friends.  We do life together.  We are family.  And I hope that Boston is ready for all of us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

The Hands That Hold Your Heart...