Hard Conversations on Racism

This past week was a big one for me.  I got my first tattoo (that's a story for another blog post), our kids started school in a brand new school system where we really don't know anyone (yet another story for another day), and I had my first opportunity to preach on racism in the church.

I've never been a person to shy away from speaking on the things that I feel deeply about, or more importantly, the things that God has laid on my heart.  At the same time, I've never really enjoyed conflict.  I'm not an avoider of conflict, but it definitely isn't on my list of "I hope I get to experience that today."  Sometimes, we shy away from conversations that God is calling us to have as the Church, because we are afraid of the conflict that might rise up, myself included.  We all love accolades, affirmation and amens.  The problem is, sometimes God asks us to do hard things, things that cause tension, things that leave you feeling vulnerable, things that may even lead to conflict, because those things are they very things that break his heart.

As a white mother of a black child, I've often shied away from conversations on racism.  Never because I don't believe it's a reality, but mostly because I have felt inadequate and at times have feared the tension, especially inside the church.

About 7 months ago, I took a new job as the Young Adult/Next Generation Pastor at a church in Pennsylvania, a church that has multiple races, cultures, and ethnicities represented.  Several months ago, I was asked to preach on Racism in the Church.  We have been in the middle of a series called, "You Asked For It," where people from the church wrote in topics they wanted us to preach on, and this was the week that I happened to get.  To say I felt confident would be a lie.  To say I am grateful it was me would be an understatement.

What I have seen in the past few days (post sermon) through the difficult conversations, texts, emails, and small groups, is a thread of hope for the Big (C)hurch.  When we courageously come to the table with our questions, our tensions, our stories, our humility, and our commitment to come back to each other over and over again, even when it gets hard, I think some of the most beautiful Kingdom work happens.  

My hope and prayer is (for myself included), we won't let the fear of tension stop us from continuing to sit in the hard spaces God is calling us to.

Feel free to watch the sermon...





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

Thin Spaces...The Sights and Sounds of Ethiopia