Authentic Ethiopian Food


Tonight we went with our awesome friends, Dan and Kim, to an authentic Ethiopian restaurant in Frederick, called Tajitu. It was amazing! We weren't totally sure what to expect, but we definitely didn't leave disappointed. We sat on little stools that were low to the ground and were given hot washcloths to clean our hands with before we ate. We all ordered different things...Dan got lamb, Kim got chicken, Nate got beef, and I got 5 different kinds of vegetarian dishes! When it came out, it was all served on one huge plate, and you ate everything with your hands. We were also given this spongy, sourdough, crepe like bread, called Injera. You use it to pick all the food up with. By the end you have eaten a ton of bread. I really loved all of it, but Kim says I love all foods, which is probably true!

The coolest part about it was meeting the owners. We shared with them that we were adopting two little ones from Ethiopia, and they said people come in with their children that have been adopted from Ethiopia, a lot. The woman serving us, Kadist, said that just last week a family had a newly adopted 3 year old from Ethiopia that they brought into the restaurant. Apparently, he had been crying the day before and they couldn't figure out why. As soon as they walked into the restaurant, they asked Kadist if she would talk to him in their native language and find out why he was crying. He told her, "I don't remember crying!" I'm sure that put the mom at ease! It's so good to know that we have already found a small piece of Ethiopian culture that we can share with our little ones to come. And I am sure that we will a list of questions to ask Kadist when we get our little ones too!

Comments

  1. Tears reading that! And my tummy wants some of that food! So yummy. :)

    I LOVE that you've found a place that will be a reminder of "home" for your kiddos.

    "Kiddos" - that sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I got your blog from Joy who told me that you were adopting. My husband and I are also adopting from ethiopia. We travel for the first time in about 5 weeks. If you want to contact me my email is luv_my_breeze@yahoo.com. I pray that everything goes smoothly for you guys!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys! I can't remember if I left a comment before on your blog, but we have eaten at this very restaurant before too! Well, actually, we got it 'to go'. Not quite the same, but nevertheless. We live in PA and work in DC so we pass thru Frederick several times a week. The staff at the restaurant are very nice! Would love to meet you guys there sometime and chat, especially once we all have our kids home from Ethiopia! How cool will that be! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

Thin Spaces...The Sights and Sounds of Ethiopia