God Has Not Forgotten Us...


I just returned from an amazing 5 day trip to Honduras. This was the fourth time I have been in the country, and I count it a blessing to be a part of God's work there every time. We were on a vision trip, so we packed a lot of places in while there. We were looking for potential places for our church to partner with. We spent an entire afternoon visiting several orphanages I had the chance to visit in January, including one for girls 12-18, as well as a teenage boys detention center. I have to say from the start, God continues to break my heart for orphans and for the lost...and just when I think it can't be broken anymore...he just breaks it again.

We started at the orphanage we had been to in January with 160 kids ages 0-12. Words can't explain that situation until you experience it for yourself. As kids came running up to us, hugging on us, trying to talk to us in Spanish, and desperately seeking someone to "notice" them and embrace them, I couldn't help but think..."God has not forgotten you." As I wandered into the baby room, and searched the faces of countless babies, I picked up a little guy, held him in my arms until we had to leave, set him in his crib and watched as he screamed as I walked away. I couldn't help but remind myself of the truth, "God has not forgotten this child."

We moved to the teenage boys detention center, where boys were being housed for some of the worst crimes (murder, rape, and more). I was asked to "share something encouraging" with a group of about fifteen, 13-14 year olds. After getting over the initial fear of being with these boys, I realized they aren't all that different from the teen boys I work with at home in my own youth group...they just have a different story. And as I attempted to share something encouraging, I hoped by the end, they knew, "God has not forgotten them."

Our last stop was an orphanage for teen girls ages 12-18...girls who had been abandoned, neglected and abused. It was a place where my heart had been stirred back in January when I visited for the first time. I again was asked to share something "encouraging" (I guess that's what happens when you are the known youth pastor of the group!). How do you encourage a group of teenage girls who have been dealt cards in life that are so less than desirable? How do you encourage a group of teenage girls whose life belongings can fit in a box under their bed? And how do you encourage a group of teenage girls who long to have a family? You remind them that when the world doesn't make sense, there is a God "who has not forgotten you."

We don't always understand where God is in the mess of our lives. We can't always see what he is doing. For the girls in that home, I am sure that there are a lot of days that feel like God has forgotten them. The truth is, many of us in the midst of our journeys have felt forgotten. And sometimes we just need to be reminded of the truth that God speaks to each one of us:

"But now, God's Message, the God who made you in the first place, Jacob, the One who got you started, Israel: 'Don't be afraid, I've redeemed you. I've called your name. You're mine. When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you. When you're in rough waters, you will not go down. When you're between a rock and a hard place, it won't be a dead end—Because I am God, your personal God, The Holy of Israel, your Savior. I paid a huge price for you . . . that's how much you mean to me! That's how much I love you! I'd sell off the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you. ' " Isaiah 43:1-4 (The Message)

We can't change our stories. But we can all be reminded that God knows us, he cares for us, he loves us with a deep kind of love...and HE HAS NOT FORGOTTEN US. And somehow, in the midst of the stories that are being written, even the chapters that are less than desirable, we find comfort in that truth.

Comments

  1. What an awesome reminder, Pastor Andrea. I can only imagine what it must have been like to be around so many broken children and teens in only a 5-day timespan. How difficult and heart-breaking. I am sure they enjoyed your time with them and felt refreshed and renewed by your love. Thank you for reminding us all that even in the mess, God is there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for sharing. Tears run down my cheek every time I read your blog. It is so powerful. Can't wait to hear more about the time. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so powerful. utterly incredible and amazing, please continue in your journey we believe in you and back you up 100%
    Mark 14: 35-36

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

Thin Spaces...The Sights and Sounds of Ethiopia