A Picture of What's to Come...


Many of you know that I coach volleyball at a local high school. A couple of days ago, I received a message from one of my former volleyball player's Mom. She has been keeping in touch about our adoption journey and encouraging and supporting us along the way. The past several weeks I feel like this journey is just dragging out...WE WANT TO GET OUR REFERRAL! But it has been people like Kristy, who have continued to help encourage us and remind us that this journey is going to have an awesome ending. I wanted to share with you her message (you are going to need tissues...just saying!)

Andrea, I wanted to share a little story with you. Last Friday evening, I was at Dulles very late, waiting for my beloved daughter to arrive from San Diego. Two men, one 30 ish, and one a bit older were milling around in the same baggage claim area with a huge bouquet of Welcome Home balloons. I did not engage in any conversation with them, but watched and wondered about their story. (This is sort of obsession stemming from the writer in me.) As passengers trickled in from a flight, they became very animated and emotional. I was able to piece together, through the scene and their joy, an acute reminder of your parenthood journey. They were waiting for their wife/daughter who arrived with a newly adopted little Asian girl. The new mother’s mom had traveled with her. Another woman busily snapped photos of the meeting and reunion of this newly expanded family. The precious child was passed to Daddy and then Grand dad for hugs and acquaintance, eyes as big as saucers, but she didn't make a sound. The balloon bouquet was nearly forgotten in the moment. Not a dry eye was to be found in baggage claim 6, as even strangers wept with happiness and fulfillment of what it means to be a parent, and the difficult measures many have to take to get there. We are not close friends, and do not see each other frequently, but I was overwhelmed with the thought of how much those of you who know you and care for you and Nate must want this for you. I, too, cried in the airport, but not for the happy family before me. My tears and prayers for peace and God’s will were for the Sawtelles….and then, a bit later, for the 19 year old Coast Guard cadet for whom I was waiting.

Some day, hopefully sooner than later, that picture will be Nate and my family. I am so grateful for the people who God places along our journey to encourage and love on us as we wait. Thanks Kristy for doing that this week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

The Hands That Hold Your Heart...