Cupcake Madness Day 1...


I am sure that most of you know we have officially entered our second "Cupcake Fundraiser" during this year long wait towards getting our referral. It's called a "Fundraiser," but what we really mean is..."Cupcake Madness!" I know this, because last year, at this very same time, my Mom and I found ourselves in the middle of the madness as we attempted to fill orders for over 1000 cupcakes. It was crazy and you can read all about it in last years posts on my blog!

People loved the cupcakes last year, my Mom loved making them, and I or course, loved sampling them, so we had to say yes when she came to us wanting to the do the fundraiser again. So, here I am typing away at 11:24pm, all to share with you the first day of the Cupcake Madness...

My week started when my Mom called me Sunday night, worried because she didn't think we had enough orders. We had around 500 and they were still rolling in. Within a couple of days, that number had practically quadrupled, and she called again, now frantically worried that we may not get them all done! My mom has a system when it comes to these cupcakes. She bakes, cools, wraps each cupcake in saran wrap, and freezes them. Then when she comes for the weekend, we make frosting and top them. If you ruin any part of the system, you are dead! Well, let's just say she almost killed her stove yesterday for ruining the system...or her stove almost killed her, because as she was baking, it caught on fire! Luckily, it was caught in time, she called someone to fix it, and within a couple of hours was back on track.

She loaded up her mini van today with a gazillion cupcakes, baking supplies, bowls, cupcake boxes, and more, and started towards our house. Now keep in mind, while I tell you the rest of this story, my parents live about 2 hours away. Well, my mom's system includes making sure the cupcakes are frozen until ready to frost, so she decides she needs to drive the two hours with no heat on and the air conditioner blasting. FYI...it was about 26 degrees today! She gets to my house, and I swear she looked like she belonged on the movie, "Ice Age!" She was shaking, her body frozen, but luckily so were the cupcakes...the system was not broken!

We really needed to go get cream cheese and butter and my Mom said Aldi's would be the best place to get them. I asked her before if she had cash, to which she replied "yes!" I probably should have specified..."Enough cash to buy all the items you need," because when we got up to the front (and there were like 12 people in line behind us), she stops the lady and says, "I am not sure I have enough money. I think I underestimated how much it would be." She then became one of those customers who gives the cashier permission item by item to keep ringing. If looks could kill, we would have been dead. Ironically, we ended up putting several items back and then my mom discovered another $20 cash in her pocket!

The rest of the night has been pretty uneventful, with my mom continuing to bake, Nate and one of our teens, Ben, building cupcake boxes, and me sifting powdered sugar. But we are just in the beginning stages. I am sure I will have new stories tomorrow. Have I mentioned I have the most incredible Mom in the world??? Well, for tonight, sweet dreams, I am sure I will be sifting sugar in my sleep.

Just kidding...it's not time to sleep. I was just getting ready to publish this post, and Nate just discovered (at 11:48pm), he had about 15 more orders in his back pack from school. Oh boy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

Thin Spaces...The Sights and Sounds of Ethiopia