Ethiopia Court Trip...Last Day!

Today was a huge day in our life.  I woke up extremely nervous, wondering if everything would turn out as we had hoped and prayed for.  It was court day.  Court day was the day where we would go in front of a judge, be asked a series of questions, and in the end, we would either be Biruk's parents or not be his parents.  Everything we had prayed for came down to this day.  Let's just say I didn't sleep well the night before and I woke up earlier than the morning chanters!

We ate breakfast and headed out the door.  Typically, the van is right there outside of the gates.  We looked around and didn't see it.  Our social worker was inside the house at the time, so we began to look around.  Off in the distance we saw a van stuck a dirt pile.  Nate said, "Hey...I think that's our van."  When our social worker came out, he told us that the van had to go around the block because of a road block.  Nate said, "I think that's our van that's stuck over there"  The social worker said, "Oh my!  That is our van!!!"  So, the boys got their morning workout as they attempted to pick the van up and move it.  Classic.

Our court appointment wasn't until the afternoon, so our adoption agency planned a special cultural training for us.  We spend about 3 hours with my mom and another amazing couple, learning about the Ethiopia history, culture, customs, and more.  We were shown how to do a coffee ceremony which was pretty amazing.  They seriously roast the beans over a stove, grind them on the spot, and mix them with boiling water to serve.  It is amazing coffee and a cultural tradition for families there.  We also had the chance to make our own Injera (the staple bread of Ethiopia) as well as a stew that went with it.  Oh my word...I could eat that food all day long.  If I wouldn't have felt like I was going to throw up the entire time, due to my nerves about court, I would have finished off the entire pot...it was that good.

When we finished the training, we jumped in the car and headed to court.  We had met with one of the social workers who had advised us on what takes place in court.  He told us not to worry (he obviously hasn't spent any time with me!).  I had read in our paperwork that shoes were a sign of respect and that you should wear closed toe shoes that are shined and well kept into court.  The night before we left, I went out and bought two pairs of shoes at Target, packed about 12 shoes, and still didn't feel good about the ones I had on.  I figured I would just die if I we made it this far and got turned away because of my shoes.  Honestly, I don't think anyone even glanced at my shoes.  Nate on the other hand, chose this awesome outfit that consisted of these purple/mauve pants and light blue button down shirt, that everyone did notice.  That was because a guy on the other side of the room stood up, pointed to Nate, pointed to himself, and you guessed it...they were wearing the same exact thing!

We waited for our name to be called for what seemed like eternity.  I am pretty sure it was only about 10 minutes, but it seemed like eternity.  When they called us, we got up and entered a small chamber where the judge was.  Pause...we had been briefed by the family we became friends with earlier in the week about what court would be like.  Brett, the husband said something along the lines of, "It's best if you don't say a whole lot.  In other words, let Nate do most of the talking!"  I guess it doesn't take a long time to get to know me!

The judge rattled off a bunch of questions, which Nate mostly answered.  However, when she asked if we had met Biruk, I couldn't help but pipe in, "Yes!  He is really, really cute!"  After a series of yes/no questions, she reminded us that after today the adoption could not be revoked (uh...does she know how long we have been waiting???), and then she said this, "Well, Nathan and Andrea, as of today, Biruk is completely yours!"

I have that lump again in my throat just writing those words.  As soon as we walked out of the court room, I started crying tears of joy.  Fruit (that's the social worker that was with us and yes that is in fact his name), said, "This is why I do my job."  It was a moment completely overflowing with joy.  Fruit took us out for coffee to celebrate, at a place with .50 macchiatos to die for, and then we met up with our other social worker who took us souvenir shopping and out for coffee again...they so know the way to our hearts!

We headed back to the guesthouse for one last meal together.  Birtukan prayed this amazing prayer for us and we were began the journey home....the journey that would include an 8 hour flight to Germany, a 9 hour flight to DC, and a 3 and a half hour car ride home in rush hour traffic.  It will definitely go down in the books as the fastest, shortest, longest journey of our life!  What an unbelievable adventure we will never forget, and the adventure has only just begun.

Comments

  1. Andrea. Thank you for taking us along on your journey via your blog. When are you going to write your book. It would be a best seller.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

The Hands That Hold Your Heart...