Saying Yes...

A couple of weeks ago, Nate and I found ourselves sitting in the waiting room of a pediatrician's office.  We were surrounded by pregnant people.  We had signed up for a "new family" and "new parent" open house to learn more about the practice.  When we arrived, the doctor looked at us funny and said, "Are you expecting?"  Well that was a loaded question.   While I hoped that I didn't physically look like I was expecting, I felt very much like a new expectant mom who knew absolutely nothing about pediatricians!  We quickly explained we were adopting from Ethiopia and she immediately made us feel at home.

As I sat through that orientation with four other couples, all who were physically "expecting," I couldn't help but think how different our story has been written.  There have been so many times in my life that I have imagined what it would be like to be pregnant, what it would be like to go to doctors visits for sonograms, and what it would be like to dress in cute maternity clothes.  Sitting in that waiting room, I was surprised at how I felt.  While I felt a little out of place in a room full of pregnant women, I felt a sense of peace that is somewhat indescribable.  This is the story we have been created for to live out.  It's our story.  It's a story that exceeds our expectations and imaginations.

This week I have been in Indianapolis, at the General Assembly for the Nazarene Church, a conference that takes place every 4 years.  As I have been sitting in services, hanging out with friends from college, spending time with missionaries I have encountered from all over the world, I couldn't help but think about the fact that one decision changed the course of my life.  19 years ago, I felt God calling me to ministry.  I answered that call as 14 year old at youth camp.  I had no idea what saying yes to God would do to the rest of my life!  I can honestly say, saying yes to God has exceeded my expectations and imagination.

Saying yes to God led me to Eastern Nazarene College, where I would study Social Work in preparation for working with people.  Saying yes to God would allow me to meet an unbelievable husband who would be the most incredible partner/best friend for the journey.  Saying yes to God would allow me to meet some of the greatest friends that would remain friends for a life time.  Saying yes to God would allow me to enroll in Seminary, a place where I would be challenged beyond what I thought I could be challenged.  Saying yes to God would allow me to serve as a participant on a summer ministries team with ENC during a summer that would change me life.  Saying yes to God would allow me to travel around the world to places like Australia, the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Honduras, developing a love and passion for missions that I never knew was there in my heart.  Saying yes to God would allow me to be a Youth Pastor to students who are seeking hope in a world that often feels hopeless.  Saying yes to God would spark a love for orphans that I didn't know existed, eventually allowing me to be a mother to a little boy in Ethiopia that I have fallen in love with.

As I have listened to speakers, ran into missionaries, pastors and friends who have literally changed my life, I have been reminded just how incredibly blessed my life has been all by saying "Yes" 19 years ago.  I have shared with Nate several times this week that I sometimes feel overwhelmed with all of the passions that God has placed in my heart.  I want to serve.  I want to make a difference.  I want to travel to places where people have not yet heard of God's love.  I want to rescue orphans.  I want to challenge teenagers to live for someone so much better and bigger than the world.  I want to see people's lives changed.  I want to live recklessly for Jesus.  I don't want to waste a day that I am given on this earth.

How does God take everything that is important in our life, our passions, our dreams, our love of people, our ideas, and the places where our hearts beat the most and use them for his kingdom?  I think it's by saying yes.  I don't know how God is going to piece all of those things together, but I do know one thing.  I want to keep saying yes and wherever God leads, I want to go there.  The journey has been unbelievable and I want to keep on it.  In the words of Chris Tomlin:

Where you go, I'll go
Where you stay, I'll stay
When you move, I'll move
I will follow you
Who you love, I'll love
How you serve I'll serve
If this life I lose, I will follow you, yeah
I will follow you, yeah

God is changing this world.  Let's be a part of it in every way possible.

Comments

  1. Thank you Andrea and Nate for sharing this incredible part of your story. It is beautiful and I cannot wait to read about and see the addition to your story. I'm so glad I've gotten to know you both. I miss you and am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words resonated with me deeply, Andrea. Lately I've been feeling overwhelmed by the many dreams, passions, desires that God has placed on my heart. Right now I feel like the journey of our lives could go many different ways...but saying YES to God is what will keep us on His path for us...wherever he may lead. Your story is beautiful and has been very impacting on my life over the past few years. I refer to you and Nate and your story so often to others. The way you guys live your lives is inspiring and I'm so glad our paths crossed. Continuning to pray for you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

The Hands That Hold Your Heart...