Images From Ethiopia

Today marks four weeks since we became a forever family with Biruk and three weeks since we have been back on US soil.  It feels like we have had him forever!  He is smiling, crawling (almost at a flying speed), pulling himself up to stand up, laughing like crazy, babbling, and growing with every minute.  We are taking in every moment we get and just soaking it up.  That being said...this mommy is exhausted (which is a whole new blog post for another time)!  I feel like I am behind on just about everything, including blogging about our trip to Ethiopia which took place almost a month ago.  Despite the lack of blogging, not a day goes by where I don't think about Ethiopia.  It's always on my heart and on my mind, and I still continue to occasionally pinch myself when I look at that sweet little Ethiopian baby that we now call our son, grateful for all that took place in Ethiopia.

While I wish that I could sit down with every person in the world and share all that we experienced, I know that not only unrealistic, but would take days upon days, because it was that amazing!  So instead, I have decided to share a few of our highlights through the images we captured along the way...

This was Birtukan's (the woman who ran our guest house) feeding program.  We had the chance to just hang out with kids as they were served lunch that day.  I didn't speak a lick of this little girl's language, but she sat on my lap content to be loved on for the moment.  While I wished I could ask her about her life, her family, and her dreams, a smile and a hug were what I had to offer.  I wished that I had something more that day.
We had the chance to visit the Mercado, one of Africa's largest open markets.  It was blocks and blocks of people walking, selling, and doing business.  I have been in several open markets in third world countries, but for some reason was struck differently here.  In so many ways, I felt as though I was catching a glimpse of what Jesus sees on a daily basis...the things that break his heart.  There were people begging at our feet, desperate for help.  Many had missing limbs, many were slumped over, some were even dragging themselves across the ground.  That was overwhelming and I felt myself wrestling with how to help.  I am not sure that I figured it out that day.
My son...in the crib he spent the first 7 months of his life in.  It's a picture that remains etched in my memory every night I kiss him and lay him down in his new home.
You can't really see the faces of the children in this picture, but these are many of the school age children who played with our son for the past 7 months, sang songs to us as we left the orphanage that day, and who need the love and care of a family.  Some will be matched with forever families in the months to come, but for many, this will remain their home.
I saw my husband's heart be broken, shaped and molded on this trip.  This is a picture that will remain forever etched in my memory.  It was taken right after we left Biruk's birth mom and officially became a forever family.  What a moment of mixed emotions.
Birtukan and Nesibu, two of the most God-loving, awe inspiring people you could possibly meet.  Birtukan taught us how to parent a baby that week!  She love on us, encouraged us, and walked every step of the way.  She prayed the most powerful prayer when we left.  We ALL cried!
Just a few of the amazing people we became friends with.  When I think back to that 10 days, I still can't believe the people that God placed in our life that week.  They encouraged us, prayed for us, laughed with us, and just shared their passion for God.  It was more than we could have ever asked for.
Do you know how long I waited to carry a baby like this???  I love the Ergo!!!
I can't believe that they are both mine...and so, so, so cute!
Love this more than I can write words for!  This is Ethiopia's version of Starbucks:)
Biruk's first encounter with a new friend, Eli.  This was the funniest thing.  Biruk went up to this little guy (who isn't so little, but is 6 months old), and smacked him in the face.  Two minutes later he went back up to him, and this time, Eli smacked Biruk in the face!  Boys will be boys.
Some pictures don't need words...this is pretty priceless!


Comments

  1. love. love. love. you guys. :) beyond blessed to have gotten the chance to meet you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

The Hands That Hold Your Heart...