Reflections From Honduras...#3

When I was 14 I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  The summer before my sophomore year, while at Teen Camp, I felt God call me to be a Pastor.  At the time I had no idea what saying "yes" to God would look like, but I also knew I couldn't shake what I felt inside of my heart.  Twenty one years later, I couldn't imagine doing anything else with my life.  Despite my fears, my inabilities, my insecurities and my "lack of's," God has shown me that this was what he created me to do.

I believe that we were all created to do something in this world.  We aren't here by chance.  In fact, I believe with all of my heart that we hand crafted by our Creator to do something specific here.  No two people are alike.  Nobody is excluded.  Everyone has a role to play in this amazing story God is writing.  Even Doris.

The first time I saw Doris, I knew she was someone I wouldn't forget.  She looked like she could have been a brand new 7th grader in my youth ministry with her teeny tiny frame, big eyes, and bashful smile.  We had just arrived at the hotel we would be staying at while working in La Flecha, Honduras, and Doris was doing what Doris does...working.  I watched as she made up beds, cleaned rooms, swept the floors and scurried around with what seemed to be an endless to do list.   I watched as she loaded up wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow of large sticks and carried them across the hotel.  Doris would do that every day we were there, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Doris was 14.

Our whole team quickly became captivated by this young woman.  Her work ethic was unmatched, her smile was permanent, and her kind sweet spirit did not go unnoticed.  Every morning, every afternoon, and every evening, Doris worked.

While drinking coffee one afternoon, Doris sat down at the table with me and we began to talk.  I asked her to tell me about her story.  While the details won't be shared in this post, the bottom line was that life's circumstances have kept Doris from being able to go to school.  In Honduras, basic education requires more just hopping on bus.  You have to have supplies...that cost money.  You have to have books...that cost money.  You have to have school uniforms...that cost money.  You have to have ride the public bus both ways...which costs money.  And for many Honduran families money is more than a challenge.  Its the reason that children as young as 10 are working.  And we aren't talking money for college, we are talking money for elementary and high school.

Every kid has a dream.  From early on, we ask kids what they want to be.  Some want to be firefighters, others teachers, and others nurses.  I looked Doris in the eye that day and asked her, "What do you want to do?  What's your dream for your life?  If you could do anything, what would it be?"  She looked at me and said, "I want to be a doctor."

As a Youth Pastor, I have a lot of things I want teenagers to walk away with.  I want them to know that they are loved.  I want them to know they are valued.  I want them to know they have been made for something amazing and epic in this world.  And I want them to know that Jesus not only sees them, but he is big enough for anything they are facing.  But sometimes I see what they are facing and I am like, "God...can you really show up here?  Is it even possible?"

That day as I sipped my Honduran coffee and listened to the dreams of a little 14 year old girl, I thought to myself, "I sure hope it is."

I don't know what Doris was handcrafted to do in this world.  I don't know what God's purpose and plans for her life are.  But I know he sees her.  I know he hasn't forgotten her.  I know he loves her and sees her as valuable.  And I know he is into doing some pretty epic things when the circumstances look bigger than life.

I hope so many things for Doris.  I hope that Doris will keep dreaming.  I hope that she will discover how incredibly valuable she is to this world.  I hope she will discover a courageousness she didn't even know she has.  But more than that, I hope she will discover the One who has even bigger dreams for her life.

Maybe...just maybe...He'll do something epic.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

Thin Spaces...The Sights and Sounds of Ethiopia