The Gift of Perspective...

At the end of January, I found myself incredibly sick.  I had just gone through a crazy season of unexpected transition at work, and I was wiped out.  It was a week before the Super Bowl, and my team, THE Kansas City Chiefs, had finally made it in and I was planning one epic party with my youth group.  What started with a 12 day flu, continued into 4 weeks of pneumonia and 2 more weeks of bronchitis.  Needless to say, I found myself in a new normal, where rest was essential, time at home was the norm, and work couldn't consume.

It's kind of ironic, because a week before I got sick, I had preached in church about "getting off the bean bag of comfort," and 7 days later...literally couldn't get off the bean bag!  If you know me at all, you know that rest is usually not my mode of operation, and squeezing out every moment I can in 24 hours is (I blame my mom, who is just like me, which is why I love being around her!).

It may seem weird, or maybe even over the top to say it, but that 6 weeks was life changing for me.  I say that, because something changed in me during that time.  My days were no longer filled with running around like crazy, squeezing in as much work as possible, consuming my mind with what I hadn't gotten done that day, and struggling to be present with my family when I got home.  Instead, my days were filled with what started with a forced rhythm of rest and what ended with a much needed perspective shift.

As I laid on that beanbag those first 12 days, I began to notice things.  I noticed that my husband is a serious boss when it comes to being a Dad.  He's just really good at it.  Like he should write a book or something.  I noticed my son, Biruk, has an endless supply of energy and will literally run circles around the house for hours, just because he can.  I noticed my daughter, Madi, has this knack for memorizing everything, and probably could star in a Broadway one woman show based on Frozen 2.  That was just the surface though, and probably things I could have noticed at a distance.  What I really noticed was Nate's giftedness.  He's patient.  He's creative.  He's intentional.  I noticed Biruk's kindness as he included his sister in things.  His ability to make us laugh.  His desire to make the most of every moment.  And I noticed the deep parts of Madi's heart.  Her willingness to be a helper.  Her intent desire to learn.  Her love for Jesus.

I also noticed something about myself.  I'm a better version of myself when I stop long enough to rest.  I'm a little less sharp and little more fun.  I'm a little less distracted and a little more present.  I'm a better mom, wife, sister, Pastor and friend.  And you know what?  What started as a forced rhythm became something that I not only began to crave, but that allowed me to see more clearly who God is asking me to be right here and right now.  So I'm slowing down more.  I'm trying to be present.  I'm savoring time with my family.  Creating boundaries where I need to.  Putting into place new practices.  And you know what...it's the first time in a long time that I feel myself.

Perspective changes things.

I wonder as we've entered a new rhythm of life these days, one that we probably wouldn't have chosen for ourselves, if it might actually turn out to be a gift.  The gift of perspective.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

Thin Spaces...The Sights and Sounds of Ethiopia