Christmas 2011...Part 3


Saturday night, Christmas Eve, my family and I traveled to New Jersey for our traditional Czech Dinner with our extended family. The night was full of traditions including sauerkraut soup, mushroom soup, specialty breads and cookies, and of course the golden pig (that's where coins rain from the ceiling...you figure that one out). After our celebration we hopped back in the car and traveled back to my parents' house in Maryland, to spend the night and wake up Christmas morning together.

For some reason I woke up really early. I think it was because I was singing a solo at my parents' church Christmas morning and was getting nervous! I jumped in the shower and when I got out heard my niece Sadie crying. I went in her room, picked her up, and got to sit by the tree watching the lights for like a half hour. She was mesmerized by those lights and our singing Christmas tree. My sister told me that allowing her to sleep and taking care of Sadie was the best Christmas present ever. For me...it just felt like I was waking up Christmas morning with a little one, and that was special.

Christmas morning was somewhat emotional for me. My Dad had asked me to sing the song "Be Born in Me," by Francesca Battistelli, and the words are powerful (check out the lyrics sometime). It moved me several times while singing. One of the lines says, "Did you wrap yourself inside the unexpected? So that we might know that love would go that far." I feel like that has been my life...unexpected circumstances that have led to one of the deepest understandings of God's love. Pretty amazing stuff.

We opened presents later that night and I was blown away by how thoughtful my family was. My parents found this awesome Ethiopian doll and surprised me with it. My sister had also given one to my niece as well, so we had a hay day with our dolls! They also bought Nate and I our very first "mom" and "dad" adoption shirts that are written in Amharic. They are so cute and we are so wearing them when we go over to Ethiopia. Nate was amazing as well. He gave me this awesome Ethiopian Flag painting that sparkles all over and a sweet African decal for the car. I loved them! My younger sister gave me this really cute necklace that has a drawing of the US and of Africa with an airplane going between them. It says "LOVE" on it. I love it! Just when I thought we were done, my other sister, Heather, surprises Nate and I with this incredible collage of pictures and encouraging notes from people we minister to and friends of ours that support us, with the lyrics to the song "While I'm Waiting", to encourage us during the wait process. I immediately lost it and bawled (I seriously think if I had a nickel for every time I cried during this journey, I could pay ALL the adoption fees!).

This has been an amazing Christmas and exactly what Nate and I needed for where we are at. I am incredibly thankful for all the glimmers of hope and encouragement that God has given me in the past 5 days. I know without a doubt he will continue to fill this year of 2012 with so many more, reminding Nate and I every step of the way...he is a God who cares deeply about those who are hurting and is STILL a God in control. That makes my heart full:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

The Hands That Hold Your Heart...