Lacrosse and Proud Moments...

It seems as though we are at a standstill in the adoption process.  With the new knowledge in the recent months that we are going to be waiting 18-24 months for a referral, it can feel like this process is never ending.  On May 11 we will have officially been on the wait list for 14 months.  I have tried hard not to dwell on the fact that the we could be waiting for another 4-10 months before we are matched, but some days are harder than others.  Yesterday, we began spring cleaning, and I found myself drawn to our spare bedroom, a room that holds so many hopes and dreams, including the dream to be a safe haven for a child.  Ever since we announced that we were adopting, the closet in that room quickly began to fill with baby Roxy clothes, teeny tiny uggs, cupcake onesies and more...all items that my family continues to pick up for our child(ren) to come.  As I attempted to organize all that we had been given, my heart felt heavy that we still have a long way to go in this journey.

I think that God knows when our hearts are hurting and when we just need to feel like he has not forgotten us.  Tonight, Nate and I showed up to a lacrosse game, which has become a norm for us lately.  With 4-5 of our youth group students playing on the team, we can't help but be superfans!  Tonight was Senior night.  There are two boys who are Seniors on the team who have we have become super close to.  We have spent many nights at waffle house together, had countless conversations in the church van, done slurpee runs until we are blue in the face, but most importantly, have grown to love them like family.

As we showed up to the game with a few minutes to spare, they were lining the Seniors up to introduce them and honor all of their achievements and accomplishments.  Ben, one of the Seniors, was standing with his mom getting ready to be announced and glanced up and saw us coming in.  He quickly began motioning for Nate and I to come down on the field.  He wanted us to walk out as part of his family (I know it's crazy, but I am tearing up as I write this!).  So, we walked next to a young man whom we have grown to love, be proud of, and consider a brother, as he was honored for his accomplishments.

He said I could fill in as his sister and Nate as his dad (I am going to take that as a fact I am not old enough to be his parent, but Nate is!).  It didn't really matter who I was filling in for, because in that moment I caught a glimpse of what it's going to be like to be a mom that is proud.  Congrats Ben and Drake on a your Senior Night...thanks for allowing me to be a small part of your life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

The Hands That Hold Your Heart...