A Praying Mom...



It's hard to believe that a week has already passed since our New York City adventure.  I feel like I am still living off of the excitement from that weekend (even though we never did get a chance to meet Matt Lauer!).  I can't even really explain it, but that weekend was exactly what my heart needed.  In fact, I felt like I came back from a 12 day vacation, I was so rejuvenated, energized and encouraged.  One of my friends at work said, "You must have had a really great time!"  It was like I couldn't stop smiling.

While we had an amazing time visiting NYC, the Today Show, going to every yard sale on the block, hanging out at the beach and more, that wasn't really what stuck out to me.  What stuck out, was the outpouring of love and encouragement over that entire weekend from my family and friends.  Before I left, one of my youth workers handed me a Mother's Day Card.  It was filled with encouraging notes from a handful of teens who I have become close to over the past several years.  All weekend long my sisters and mom did everything they could to make the weekend one I wouldn't forget...getting up at 4am to attempt to see Matt Lauer, encouraging me throughout the weekend with conversations, loving on me on a day that could have been extremely painful, and creating memories that will never be forgotten.  On Sunday, two teens who have been like siblings to me sent me texts, one saying, "Happy Mother's Day...you and Nate are like second parents to me.  I love you guys," and another saying, "I know you went to NYC to avoid this, but I wanted to say Happy Mother's Day. You may not have your Ethiopian babies yet but you are a mother to sooooo many other people.  You are such a role model to me, and that's pretty much the job of being a mother.  So thank you for everything.  I love you."  The night concluded with a visit from a family who left me with a gift and a note of encouragement that I totally didn't deserve.  These people have all become encouragers along the journey.

This past weekend, we had our Youth Group Spring Retreat.  We had the privilege of having one of our friends and youth ministry mentors, Stretch Dean, speak for us.  As I was sitting in my seat Saturday night, he was talking about what it means to be set-apart, sanctified, and being "all in" for God.  I couldn't help but remember as a teenager when I felt God doing that in my life.  I immediately began to feel overwhelmed with gratitude for the journey that started so many years ago and has grown into this constant journey of surrender.  I had been praying for the past several months that God would really move in the lives of our teenagers, but on Saturday night, just felt extremely burdened for them.  I want them to experience what I have experienced when you surrender everything to God...even your hopes, your dreams and your plans.  Too often, I listen to people say to me, teens doing their own thing...that's just what they do.  They'll grow out of it.  Experimenting, living for themselves, and making bad choices...that's just the norm.  To be honest, I don't believe that.  I believe you can choose something better.  I believe you can live above reproach.  I believe you can live in a way where surrender becomes the first thing you do every morning when you get up.  And I believe that when you do that...you experience life in ways that you would have never imagined.

As I sat in my seat Saturday night, I felt myself praying for this youth group I have been entrusted with, in a way that I imagine a mother to pray for her children.  I felt burdened for these students that they would get it...be all in for God, laying EVERYTHING on the line for him...in the same way a mom so desperately wants the best  for her children.  And I prayed with every ounce in me for those teens, many of whom have become some of my biggest cheerleaders and sources of encouragement along my journey, that they would know the love of  Christ in a way that would change the course of their life.  I want them to see what God can do when you surrender.  As I sat in that seat Saturday night, I was hit with the realization that my teens are more than just kids that have walked into my youth group.  Many of my students have become family.  And in the quiet moments this weekend, I was reminded that the love I have for them is ultimately a small picture of the love I will have for my little Ethiopian family.  I am just really grateful for moments like this weekend.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

The Hands That Hold Your Heart...