Encouragement...

This morning in Sunday School, Nate played what I thought was an extremely powerful video (a clip from "Facing Your Giants").  He was sharing with our students the importance of encouraging people through our words, our actions and our presence.  He kicked off the morning by showing this 8 minute video clip and then asking the question, "What reaction did you have to this video and who do you identify with the most."  As I sat in my seat, tears started to form in my eyes.  There are so many days that I find myself fighting with God saying, "I am not sure that I can take much more on this whole adoption journey."  As I watched the clip and imagined God as my coach (fully understanding that one of the main priorities a coach should have is to encourage their team), I felt overwhelmed.  He knows exactly what we are capable of...even if that means that we don't think we have the strength of energy to stick it out.  He isn't some distant God off on the sidelines rooting for us from afar.  He is screaming words of encouragement.  He is literally by our side pushing us to finish what he called us to do.  He expects us to give him our all.  And he anticipates the day when we get to see just how far we have come with him at the end of our journey, and more importantly, just what we are capable of doing when He is in the picture.

I am a volleyball coach.  I coach girls because I want to see them believe in themselves.  I am huge on encouragement.  I try to encourage my girls every chance I get because I want them to see what they are capable of.  I guess I have never pictured God doing the same to me.  It's pretty powerful imagery and I hope that no matter how difficult the situation we find ourselves in we remind ourselves that we are more than capable because of the one cheering us on...the one who believes in us.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

Thin Spaces...The Sights and Sounds of Ethiopia