Cheezits, Dolphins and a 50 Foot Drop...


It's the end of day 3 of our 4 day vacation...just my mom and I. We just returned from about 5 hours of thrift shopping and bargain hunting all over Fort Myers in our friends' convertible. I have to say, we looked pretty good in that convertible! I am exhausted tonight. I guess because I got burned a little on the beach, and we have once again packed in about 12-15 miles of biking, shopped till we dropped, and have filled every second of our time together with fun. I had to blog tonight to share this funny anecdote that I am sure will make all of you smile.

So, we are biking to Fort Myers beach this morning, fully loaded with everything we need for the day on our bikes. Two beach chairs, a lunch, a backpack, iced coffee, iced tea, towels and sunscreen (I totally should have gotten a picture, because that description doesn't do justice to how ridiculous we look!). We get to this huge bridge, which has a big fat sign that says "Walk Bikes on Bridge." As part of our routine, we walk our bikes up to the top of the bridge, pause to catch our breath and drink water (you really don't know how exhausting "walking" a bike is until you try it), and then coast down to the bottom. Coasting, as my mom has modeled for me is not really "riding" your bike per say...it's just gliding. I think that is her way of being rebellious in this world...coasting down the "non-biker" bridge!

Anyway, we get to the top, and we start to see a bunch of dolphins down below in the water. Mind you, we are at least 50 feet up on this bridge, and the wind is whipping at about 25 mph. My mom starts to yell..."Quick! Throw something down to them. Let's try to throw some mango, or a cheezit (because that is what dolphins eat you know:)). I said, "Mom...what do you think is going to happen when you throw a cheezit down there in the wind? It's gonna blow right back up in your face. Besides the fact, I am pretty sure dolphins don't eat cheezits." But you know my Mom. She gets an idea and follows through until the end. As soon as the wind died down, or so she says it did, she throws the cheezit down and is super disappointed that the dolphins don't eat it. I'm not even sure the cheezit ever made it down there, but it was pretty hilarious watching her try.

She says to me as we are "gliding" down the bridge, "At least my grand kids will know I am going to always show them a crazy good time!" Yeah...crazy is spot on. I just read this entry to my mom and she said, "You usually have some kind of application or something to think about when you blog." I am not really sure how to follow up that story other than to say this. Tonight, I am thankful for the little things in life that make me laugh, and I am thankful for family to share in that with. I am sure someday my kids to come with be blogging ridiculous stories about me as their mom, after all, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

Thin Spaces...The Sights and Sounds of Ethiopia