Incredible Support...




I realize that it has been almost a week since the "Expecting Miracles Tea Fundraiser," and I never had the chance to post about it. We had an AMAZING time! Can I just say that it was a perfect day, except the fact that my mother-in-law couldn't be there due to her getting like 10 inches of snow! The morning started really early. My alarm woke me up at 5am and my gracious sister Kristen also got up with me (I totally owe both my sisters big time). Kris and I half groggy eyed cut cucumbers and apples and put together about 150 tea sandwiches of all different kinds. We had 8 different sandwiches, 8 different desserts, hot little sandwiches, homemade tomato bisque soup (like a huge vat of it), 3 different kinds of tea (all donated by Tea by Two), and the most amazing scones (that a super nice lady from church donated). So much was made by friends of our family, and then of course, a boat load was made by my mom. One of my youth leaders that I had as a teen was there and said, "we should call this Tea by Twenty...cause it seriously took a lot of people to put it together!"

We were able to get into the church around 9:30am and had about an hour to an hour and a half to set everything up. Mom had asked a lady and her two teen daughters from the church, whom I had never met, to help serve and set up. They were amazing! They worked so incredibly hard. One of my former youth leaders ran sound, a guy did a video for us (which I will post soon), people ran around helping in all sorts of ways. It blew my mind how people came together for this tea to support us.

We had about 75 people attend the tea. The Bel Air Church (the church my parents pastor and the church I grew up in) came out to support us. My friends from Hagerstown, about 15, traveled 2 hours down for the tea. A couple friends from college came. My aunt and cousin traveled from Virginia. And one of my best friends traveled with her two month old baby a couple hours. The support blew my mind. I teared up several times:)

My Dad had picked out a couple of really cool Michael W Smith videos to show with the African Boys choir, and then had a special video of pictures of children from our mission trips made. He teared up A LOT! I teared up too...

I can't end this blog without telling you how much I appreciate my family AGAIN. My husband and brother in law, Carty did A LOT, and didn't complain or ask questions. My mom worked really hard. We give her a really hard time, because she likes to do things her way, and sometimes that is hard. But she ALWAYS gives 110% in all that she does. She is a woman who has such a deep love and compassion for the world, and that was so evident that morning. My sisters...gotta love that they participate in everything (even if they don't always have a choice). Kristen made that tea like a pro...I hope I can be as amazing of a mom as her. Heather, who is due in two weeks, busted her tail the entire morning...she is an awesome mom who never stops giving. Dad, he just has that compassion to meet the needs of people all over the world, and it's contagious. Again, I hate to brag on my family, but I write these things because my heart is overflowing with gratefulness.

And one more thing...for all of you that probably want to know. We raised over $2400 dollars for the cupcake fundraiser, and over $2400 for the Tea Fundraiser. More than that, we got a chance to see the extended family come together that our kids are going to get to walk into...friends, church family and biological family, and that is pretty spectacular.

Comments

  1. That is unbelievable!!! The money is of course helpful, but the support and excitement for your family is what's truly breathtaking. Trust me, you'll need all of that when you bring your kids home. I really believe that a huge part of the waiting in adoption is to build a powerful village that's ready and able to help you once the REAL journey begins. CONGRATS. Beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

Thin Spaces...The Sights and Sounds of Ethiopia