The Best Day Ever!!!!

I can't even believe that I am finally writing this post!  I have been imagining this day for the past 3 years of my life and it has finally arrived.  WE GOT OUR REFERRAL!!!!!  I have been thinking about how I would post this news and to be honest, while I feel like I normally do a good job expressing myself through writing, I feel like words can't do justice to all that we have experienced these past few days.  In so many ways I am completely speechless and blown away by God's goodness that I am just not sure my writing will articulate just how happy I really am!!!  Nevertheless, I will start at the beginning and try my best to give all the details.

Several years ago, when I was struggling with the pains of infertility, my Mom decided to take me to Florida for a special "mom-daughter" get away.  After that first trip, she committed to taking me every year until I got kids.  Last week was that week, and as usual, we headed to Florida.  Tuesday, we had pretty much spent the whole day shopping because the weather in Florida was freezing (like 60 degree freezing).  We got back to the house (we stay with my childhood best friend's parents who are retired down there...total family to me), and I headed to my room.  My cell phone had just rung, but I didn't recognize the number so I didn't pick up.  It then rang a second time.  I decided to pick up and on the other end was our social worker.  She said, "Andrea...where are you?"  In those moments, my heart felt like it was beating out of my chest.  I started breathing wicked hard (which Nate later told me I sounded like I was hyperventilating!).  "I am Florida...with my mom...at my friend's house."  "Are you sitting down?" she asked.  "Yes (breathing really hard now."  "Well, I have Nate on the other line.  And I have your referral!  And I think you are going to love this little guy."  She then started rattling off the details which I did not hear at first.

It was that moment that I wish I could bottle up and savor forever.  So many things went through my mind.  "I was going to be a mom...we were going to have a SON!  I WAS GOING TO BE A MOM!!!"  The floodgates immediately burst open.  Our social worker went onto say he was only 4 months old, a little guy of 11 pounds, gaining weight at the orphanage every day.  He seemed to be healthy and she assured us...HE IS SUPER CUTE!  I sat on the bed and it was like every day I had cried, every day I had questioned God, every day I had felt alone, every day I had wondered if anything good could come through this process, quickly faded.  The things that remained and stood strong in those moments...God's love and God's faithfulness.

I spoke with Nate on the phone for a few minutes expressing my excitement and wishing we weren't so many miles apart in those moments.  Well, I must have been crying loud enough for Ms. Darlene (the woman we were staying with who is basically my second mom) to hear.  She opened my door and immediately had this panic stricken look on her face.  She said, "Debbie, get off the phone (mom was on her cell).  Something  has happened.  Ang is really upset."  My mom came into the room and I got up and said with tears (of JOY!), "I am going to be a Mom!!!!"  Now, if there is a second moment I could bottle up, it would be my mom's reaction.  Words can NOT do that justice!  My mom immediately hugged me and screamed over and over like a mad woman (she screamed so loud that the neighbors two doors down asked if there was an animal or something in the house!).

Our social worker had told us there were pictures and video on our portal to look at.  We immediately got them up on the computer and saw him for the first time.  OH MY WORD!  Now, I know that every mom (I can't believe that I am referring to myself as a mom!!!) is bias, but...THIS KID IS CUTE!  He has these unbelievable eyes, he gurgles in the video, he laughs, and he has the cutest smile in the world.  He is super tiny and a little peanut.  I swear we have watched the video and looked at the pictures a thousand times.  We are not supposed to post pictures or videos online yet.  I don't even think we are supposed to put his name on here, so we will call him Baby B until we can!

Well, it was time to call my Dad and sisters.  Lets' just say that my Dad acted like he had together...but he didn't!  My mom said later that he told her he cried the entire day (sorry for giving your secrets away Dad!). Dad told me today that if he thinks about it too long he starts crying...this is almost a week later.  He is a pretty excited Pop Pop:)

I called my sisters, neither answered.  I texted them...told them to CALL ME NOW.  When they finally called back, I asked both of them, "Do your girls like to play with boys?"  They were really confused.  "Do they like to play with boys...like do they get along with boys."  Kristen, my younger sister, said, "Ang...I thought you were calling me with good news!!!  What in the world are you calling me for."  Heather was like, "What???  You aren't making sense."  I said to both, "Because they are going to have a boy cousin from Ethiopia!!!"  Let's just say that I am lucky my ear drums still work.  Both sisters screamed like crazy.

Needless to say...my family has been waiting with us this whole journey and they are excited.  We made them wait for a couple of days before they could tell anyone and it about killed them.  They are beyond excited, rejoicing with us, and have already given us gifts they have been saving!

Nate has promised to post his viewpoint this week, including sharing about telling his family.  We still have a ton to post about this weekend...telling our friends and church family.  We have so much to tell.  That will come in the next few days.  This excitement has exhausted us!!!  Our agency says it will be about 3 months until we travel for the first trip when we will have our court date.  We will then come home and have to wait about 2-3 months before traveling back to Ethiopia for the second trip where we will bring him home.  We have a long journey ahead of us, but we also believe that God can move mountains...we are now praying that he will help the court dates to come quick.

I can't even close my eyes without seeing our little boy in my mind.  He has captured my heart and I haven't even held him yet.  I am going to be one sappy Momma when we travel to Ethiopia (oh my word...I am referring to myself as a Momma...so cool!!!).  We are beyond grateful.  We are beyond blessed.  God has given us an Easter miracle, and man, hope has sprung in this house big time!

Comments

  1. See I told you... I've gotta get busy crocheting BLUE blankies..

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOBBING. SOBBING. SOBBING. Eating my dinner in bed (while my 2 Ethiopians sleep) and I can hardly read the words on this post....I think I even rubbed some hot sauce in my eye while wiping away a tear. GOD IS SO GOOD! I cannot wait to see his picture and celebrate the next steps to him coming HOME. Grateful to have been a part of this journey with you and Nate...from afar...having never met God's sown our hearts together.

    Your best days are ahead of you, MOMMA!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for all of you! Congratulations Mommy and Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cry tears of thankfulness & joy with each word you have written. God is awesome,amazing & surprising!!! You will be great parents!

    -Nora

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The LORD has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes." Psalm 118:23. Rejoicing with you in this incredible news. God has given you your heart's desire, just like He said He would. Our prayers will continue as your journey leads you to your sweet boy and the adventure of a lifetime! We are beyond thrilled for you & Nate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I screamed when I opened up your page and saw this post, I can only imagine how loud your families were!!!! Can't believe how right you were in your previous post, sensing "the end was near". So looking forward to reading about your journey to get your son in your arms! Congrats Nate and Andrea!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful news, Andrea! I am so happy for you and Nate. You are a MOM!! I look forward to all the updates to come. I'm sure he is the cutest thing you've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, so happy for you. Been following your blog since before we brought our little girl home. God is faithful and His timing is always perfect. Praying for a quick court date and embassy date for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Probably more like, "Best Day So-Far." :) I have a feeling there is a pretty amazing day coming in a few months for you!! It is amazing how in a moment, in a breath, love can wipe away so much sadness, heartache, and loneliness. Welcome to the blessing of being an adoptive mom! It's and amazing journey!! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

Thin Spaces...The Sights and Sounds of Ethiopia