Friends for the Journey

So, back in October of 2009, I was kind of at a low of low in dealing with the issues of infertility. I felt like I was giving so much to God through youth ministry, and it wasn't fair that I had to deal with all of this. I went with some of my best friends, my youth workers, to the National Youth Worker Convention in Ohio. While I was there I noticed a seminar called, Death by Ministry...I was feeling pretty burned out in the ministry area, so I decided to go. Little did I know just what would come out of that seminar.

I stuck around for awhile and waited to share my story with the speaker. I was hoping she could share some insight. She told me she had friend in California who was dealing with the very same things in trying to start a family, and said that she would probably love to talk with me. As she was trying to find her email address to give to me, that friend actually texted her at the same time! It was a total God thing.

Since that weekend, I have been inspired and encouraged by a "new friend" whom I've never met that lives on the other side of the country! We are the same age, both Pastors, both Pastor's kids (I think), and share a love for life and a desire for a family. I've been reading her blog often, and over the past several months have been extremely encouraged. She is also adopting from Ethiopia, but is way further along than us!

Today when I got home from work, I received an awesome book in the mail from my new friend, April, entitled "God Found Us You." It's a children's book about adoption. Nate and I sat at the dinner table reading it together tonight. The last line of the book says this, "When God found us you," Mama fox whispered in his dreams, "you made me the happiest mama in the world." It gives me goosebumps to think that some day (hopefully sooner than later), I will hold a child in my arms and say that very same thing.

Thanks April...for being a friend on the journey and for reminding me that there is a little girl waiting for her mama!

Comments

  1. i want that book for our boys....who is the author?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Biggest tears in the world. YOU and Nate are one of the reasons my journey has been worth it. Thank you for the gift of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello, we have a common friend in Chris Cerra, we saw her response to you on Facebook. My wife and I have two adopted children (the best thing to happen in our lives); our son from Ukraine and our daughter from China. What you are experiencing and what you are going to experience is nothing short of beautiful.

    It may sound strange but there will be a day when you will be giving thanks for having those "issues of fertility."

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW - This is so encouraging to read. I am so glad to know how God is at work in your life. Who would have thought that our little encounter after that teaching would lead to such an important relationship...

    April is the REAL DEAL! An amazing woman and I am so glad to know that she has been an encouragement to you.

    Blessings to you and Nate on your journey.
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Mother's Heart...

Stories Matter

The Hands That Hold Your Heart...